How It Works
We offer 1-month, 2-month, 3-month, 4-month, and 6-month membership packages. During your enrollment, you may attend as many class sessions as you wish as long as the class is at your dog’s appropriate Level.
If you’re busy and you can’t make your usual Monday 6:00 pm Level 1 class; no worries, you can attend one or more, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday or Sunday Level 1 classes! Unlimited classes and built-in flexibility make this program easily work for your busy lifestyle!
***Please note that if you arrive 10-minutes or more after the scheduled start time of class, then you will NOT be allowed into class.***
Level-Up & Graduation
Regardless of prior knowledge or previous training, all dogs are required to start in Level I. To ensure that your pooch’s foundational knowledge will prepare them for success as they advance.
Since there is no formal schedule to your enrollment, moving up to the next level depends on your pooch’s individual progress. Regardless of the length of time once your dog completes a Level’s requirements then they will advance to the next. Allowing your dog to learn at his or her own pace.
As a bonus if you think and your dog needs to brush up on skills from a previous level, you are free to pop into any previous Urban Pooch LEVELS class during your membership.
All students must attend one orientation session before beginning Urban Pooch LEVELS Training. Orientation is for people only – not dogs, so please leave your dog at home for the brief Orientation. We have Urban Pooch LEVELS Orientation every Wednesday and Saturday.
- Wednesdays – 7:30 pm – 8:15 pm*
- Saturdays – 10:00 am – 10:45 am**
*Please note that due to our Holiday Boarding operations, there will be no LEVELS Orientation on Wednesday, 12/25/2019.
**Please note that due to our Holiday Boarding operations, there will be no LEVELS Orientation on Saturday, 12/21/2019.
How to Register:
Please, RSVP prior to attending orientation by calling (773) 961 – 8880. Because every orientation does fill-up, all students must purchase a package when signing-up in order to reserve a spot in orientation. However, your package will not begin ticking-down until you actually attend orientation. Thank you!
LEVEL 1 – Beginner
- Basic Commands: Sit and Down
- Focus Work: Dog pays attention to owner and clearly responds to their name
- Discuss Potty Training & Proper Crate Use
- Address unwanted behavior such as jumping and play biting
- Intro to proper leash walking
Requirements to LEVEL-Up: Dog can obey sit and down on command, knows their name and will look to the parent when their name is called.
LEVEL 2 – Building on Good Behavior
- Intro to walking on a loose leash with mild distractions
- Paying attention to the parent when other dogs walk by
- Introduction to Stay and Recall
- Address behavioral problems such as barking, digging, chewing, etc.
Requirements to LEVEL-Up: Dog can walk on a loose leash with good attention to the parent and no pulling on the leash, dog can recall on lead with small distractions.
LEVEL 3 – Distraction Work
- Loose leash walking with many distractions
- Automatically sit when owner comes to a stop
- Recall work at longer distances (dog to come and sit directly in front of owner)
- Stay on leash with distractions (both sit and down)
- Respond to commands at a distance
Requirements to LEVEL-Up: Dog can do a 1 minute stay and a 3 minutes down-stay with a small amount of distractions. Dog can heel past other dogs on a loose leash (draped over the owner’s shoulder), and dog can be recalled from 20 feet with distractions.
LEVEL 4 – Advanced (Working Toward Canine Good Citizen)
- Emergency down and recall
- Work on all CGC exercises (3 week CGC prep class can be taken in addition to this level)
- Longer stays – 2 minute sit, 5 minute down with owner at a distance
- Finish heel – cleanup so heel position is correct and straight each time
Requirements to LEVEL-Up: Dog must be able to heel off leash past other dogs and other distractions. Dog can be reliably recalled off lead from 30 feet away past distractions.
LEVEL 5 – Therapy Dog & Off-Leash Reliability
IN LEVEL 5 you may chose one of two tracks: Canine Therapy Corps Therapy Dog Certification or Off-Leash Reliability. Of course, once you master one, you may want to master the other.
Canine Therapy Dog Goals:
- Ignores medical equipment, other dogs, and squeaker toys
- Takes treats gently from strangers who are in a wheelchair
- Maintains long sit and down stays
- Performs all skills without the aid of treats
Off-Leash Reliability Goals:
- Refine all commands – dog responds to all with no hesitation
- Responds to all cues without a leash attached
- Long sit and down at a distance
- Greater distractions will be added to create “real-life” responses from your do
NOTE: Dogs can participate in LEVEL 5 for multiple months – as challenges will be consistently added to challenge pooch and parent.
Urban Pooch LEVELS Membership Packages
1-month = $275 = $17.19 per class*
2-months = $395 = $12.34 per class*
3-months = $575 = $11.98 per class*
4-months = $735 = $11.48 per class*
6-months = $999 = $10.41 per class*
*cost per class assumes an average of 4 classes per week
What to Bring to Training Classes
How to prepare for your awesome & FUN classes at Urban Pooch Training and Fitness Center:
- Bring a variety of very yummy, small-sized treats (the size of a green pea). You may mix the treats with your dog’s meal if you’re concerned about over-feeding.
- Consider using a treat pouch – it’s easy to forget you have treats in your pocket. We have treat pouches for sale at Urban Pooch Training & Fitness Center.
- Bring motivational toys that don’t make noise and that won’t roll away.
- Please, no choke or electronic collars. Also, most back-clip harnesses are not recommended. A flat collar is best, but if you need a training collar or harness, our trainers are happy to make the appropriate suggestions for you and your dog.
- Use a 6-foot leather or cloth leash. Chain leashes are not recommended. Retractable leashes are not allowed.
- As always and everywhere, Please bring poop bags.
- Wear your play attire to class – comfortable clothes, closed-toe, and rubber-soled shoes
The Red Bandana Program
Red bandanas will be worn by dogs who need a little space. Perhaps they are not confident around other dogs, they may be shy of people, or maybe they have a temporary injury or are older and don’t want to be bumped. Please offer space when you see a dog wearing a red bandana.
Policy on Payment, Refunds & Cancellation
Reserving A Spot & Initial Payment
We do not accept partial payments for class. Classes must be paid in full at sign-up in order to reserve a spot. Only payment in full for class can reserve your spot in a future class or training service.
Refund Policy If You Wish to Drop Out of Clas
In the case a student wishes to drop out of a class, a refund will only be issued if UPTFC is given notice 48 hours or more prior to the start time/day of class. So, for example, if you are signed up for a class that begins June 5th at 7:15pm, then the absolute latest UPTFC could be notified is June 3rd before 7:15pm in order for you to obtain a refund for the full amount you paid for said class.
If you wish to drop out of class outside of these parameters – that is, with less than 48 hours notice – then no refund will be granted unless it is due to a sudden illness or injury to yourself or your dog that makes it either impossible or unsafe for your participation. For parameters regarding dropping out of class for injury or illness to either yourself or your dog, see subsequent sections for more information.
Please note we do not grant requests for refunds or credit for future training due to changes in a student’s availability, business trips, simply missing class for being too busy, forgetting class dates or unexpected personal/business/holiday/vacation plans.
Refund Policy in the Case of Injury or Illness
In the case a student needs to remove their enrollment in a class due to an injury or illness to either themselves or their dog that makes their involvement impossible or unsafe, then one of four policies will apply to them with regards to the time in which UPTFC is notified of said injury/illness:
- If you notify UPTFC 48 hours or more prior to the start time/day of class, then the previous policy will take precedence in which a full refund will be granted.
- If you notify UPTFC less than 48 hours prior to the start time/day of class up until the actual day of class, then you will be granted a credit of the full amount of your original payment for said class to be used towards future training. However, this credit may only be used towards training services and must be used within 6 months of giving said notice; all remaining credit granted from this notice will be forfeited after this 6 month grace period. So, for example, if you are registered for a $180 class that is set to begin June 5th at 7:15pm, and you let us know on June 4th your dog has contracted kennel cough and thus cannot be around other dogs, then we would credit your account $180 to be used towards future training services. Please note that these training services still must be scheduled and are subject to both the availability of trainers and open spots in future classes; that is, we cannot guarantee you a spot in a future class due to dropping out of a past class if said future class already has registered the maximum amount of students. To continue this example, even if you have not used the total sum of your original $180 credit in training services by December 4th, then the difference in initial payment would become forfeit and any new future training expense would need to be paid for separately from this now expired credit.
- If you notify UPTFC during the duration of your class that either your dog or yourself has become too ill/injured to continue attending class, then you will be granted a credit for the presumed remaining dollar amount of your original payment to be put toward future training services. So, for example, if you are registered for a $180, 6-week class that began on June 5th and you have to drop out of class because a few days after week 3 of class (let’s say June 22nd) you sustain injuries that would make it impossible for you to attend class and act as a proper handler for your dog, then we would credit your future training account $90 since you used 3/6 of the class you signed-up for originally. However, the entirety of this $90 training credit would have to be used by December 22nd or else be forfeit. Please note that these training services still must be scheduled and are subject to both the availability of trainers and open spots in future classes; that is, we cannot guarantee you a spot in an upcoming class due to dropping out of a past class if said future class already has registered the maximum amount of students.
- If an injury or illness occurs to yourself or your dog, but you make no reasonable attempt to make us aware of the situation, then UPTFC reserves the right to not only keep the total payment for class, but also fill your spot in class if we receive no communication follow-up to establish a protocol specific to your circumstances.
Please note that if your dog is approved to be removed from a class for an injury or ailment, we may require proof of proper treatment and clearance from your vet prior to attending a subsequent training session. For example, if you had to drop-out of an upcoming class because your dog’s fecal sample tested positive for giardia, then prior to starting another class we would need proof from your vet that the dog has had a new fecal sample tested that resulted negative for infection for giardia or any other communicable ailment. Simply putting your dog through vet-recommended treatment is not sufficient for proof of a negative fecal–only proof that a more recent fecal sample tested negative will clear your pooch for class in this scenario.
Refund Policy in the Case an Upcoming Class Session is Cancelled or Rescheduled
UPTFC reserves the right to cancel an upcoming class session if said class has not reached the minimum number of students required to properly conduct class. For the vast majority of classes the minimum number of students needed to run a class session is 3 students. If we have not registered the minimum amount of students 48 hours prior to the start time/day of class, then we reserve the right to cancel the class session entirely, delay the start date of class to a future date in the hopes we can find more students or else modify the class structure to reflect the lower attendance. In any of these cases, you will be contacted immediately and you can choose 1 of 4 options:
- Remain in the class roster, but realize the class will actually start at a later date than was originally scheduled. Please note that if said class is one with specific age restrictions like many of our Puppy class offerings, then it may be necessary to move you to a different class entirely if your dog would then be outside the correct age range of the class you originally signed-up for at the now newly proposed start date.
- Request a full refund for your original payment. This would be issued as soon as possible.
- Request to be transferred to an upcoming class or training program that was different than the one you originally signed-up for, but is an alternate option in which you are also interested in and for which your dog meets the age/curriculum requirements. Please note that these alterations to training services still must be scheduled and are subject to both the availability of trainers and open spots in future classes; that is, we cannot guarantee you a spot in an upcoming class due to the cancellation if said future class already has registered the maximum amount of students. Additionally, if the program/class you are switching to joining costs more than the original amount paid for the program/class you initially signed-up for, then payment for the difference in said amounts would be due at the time of switching between programs/classes.
In the event we have to cancel a class you were originally signed-up for, but you don’t want a refund and also don’t know yet what training service you would be interested in joining in the near future, then we will keep on file a credit for your account in the equivalent dollar amount that can be applied towards training services in the next 6 months. So, for example, if you were originally signed-up for a $180 Junior Dog class that is set to begin on June 5th, and we contact you on June 3rd that said class session is cancelled due to the lack of other students. Then, if you so choose, that $180 could be applied to other training services until December 3rd. However, after December 3rd, any unused part of that original payment would become forfeit and future training experiences would need to be paid for separately from this now expired credit. Please note that these alterations to training services still must be scheduled and are subject to both the availability of trainers and open spots in future classes; that is, we cannot guarantee you a spot in an upcoming class due to the cancellation if said future class already has registered the maximum amount of students.