For puppy training classes, click here.
LEVELS Obedience Training
Comparable to a gym membership for your dog, our innovative class structure is more flexible than a traditional 6-week class because we offer unlimited training sessions during your enrollment.
Instead of being limited to one class on the same day and time each week, your Urban Pooch LEVELS membership allows you to attend as many class sessions each week as you’d like if those classes are at your dog’s training level.
The number of classes you attend each week is up to you, and you won’t be penalized for attending more or less. You’ll never fret over schedule changes or make-up fees. With Urban Pooch, you’re free to train on your schedule.
How It Works
We offer 1-month, 2-month, 4-month, and 6-month membership packages. During your enrollment, you may attend as many class sessions as you wish as long as the class is at your dog’s appropriate Level.
If you’re busy and you can’t make your usual Monday 6:00 pm Level 1 class; no worries, you can attend one or more Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday or Sunday Level 1 classes! Unlimited classes and built-in flexibility make this program easily work for your busy lifestyle!
- Thursdays – 7:00 pm – 7:30 pm
- Saturdays – 9:00 am – 9:30 am
Proof of vaccinations and a clear fecal exam every 6-months are required to take part in all classes. Proof of vaccinations must be received prior to the first day of class.
- Clear fecal exam every 6 months
Level-Up & Graduation
Regardless of prior knowledge or previous training, all dogs are required to start in Level I. To ensure that your pooch’s foundational knowledge will prepare them for success as they advance.
Since there is no formal schedule to your enrollment, moving up to the next level depends on your pooch’s individual progress. Regardless of the length of time once your dog completes a Level’s requirements then they will advance to the next. Allowing your dog to learn at his or her own pace.
As a bonus if you think and your dog needs to brush up on skills from a previous level, you are free to pop into any previous LEVELS class during your membership.
LEVEL 1 – Beginner
- Basic Commands: Sit and Down
- Focus Work: Dog pays attention to owner and clearly responds to their name
- Discuss Potty Training & Proper Crate Use
- Address unwanted behavior such as jumping and play biting
- Intro to proper leash walking
Requirements to LEVEL-Up: Dog can obey sit and down on command, knows their name and will look to the parent when their name is called.
LEVEL 2 – Building on Good Behavior
- Intro to walking on a loose leash with mild distractions
- Paying attention to the parent when other dogs walk by
- Introduction to Stay and Recall
- Address behavioral problems such as barking, digging, chewing, etc.
Requirements to LEVEL-Up: Dog can walk on a loose leash with good attention to the parent and no pulling on the leash, dog can recall on lead with small distractions.
LEVEL 3 – Distraction Work
- Loose leash walking with many distractions
- Automatically sit when owner comes to a stop
- Recall work at longer distances (dog to come and sit directly in front of owner)
- Stay on leash with distractions (both sit and down)
- Respond to commands at a distance
Requirements to LEVEL-Up: Dog can do a 1 minute stay and a 3 minutes down-stay with a small amount of distractions. Dog can heel past other dogs on a loose leash (draped over the owner’s shoulder), and dog can be recalled from 20 feet with distractions.
LEVEL 4 – Advanced (Working Toward Canine Good Citizen)
- Emergency down and recall
- Work on all CGC exercises (3 week CGC prep class can be taken in addition to this level)
- Longer stays – 2 minute sit, 5 minute down with owner at a distance
- Finish heel – cleanup so heel position is correct and straight each time
Requirements to LEVEL-Up: Dog must be able to heel off leash past other dogs and other distractions. Dog can be reliably recalled off lead from 30 feet away past distractions.
LEVEL 5 – Therapy Dog & Competitive Obedience
- Refine all commands – dog responds to all with no hesitation
- Heeling off leash, at side with no forging or lagging behind
- Long sit and down at a distance
- Intro to competitive obedience exercises – stand for exam, heeling figure 8, on and off leash heeling patterns
NOTE: Dogs can participate in LEVEL 5 for multiple months – as challenges will be consistently added to challenge pooch and parent.