How It Works
We offer 1-month, 2-month, 3-month, 4-month, and 6-month membership packages. During your enrollment, you may attend as many class sessions as you wish as long as the class is at your dog’s appropriate Level.
If you’re busy and you can’t make your usual Monday 6:00 pm Level 1 class; no worries, you can attend one or more, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday or Sunday Level 1 classes! Unlimited classes and built-in flexibility make this program easily work for your busy lifestyle!
***Please note that if you arrive 10-minutes or more after the scheduled start time of class, then you will NOT be allowed into class.***
Level-Up & Graduation
Regardless of prior knowledge or previous training, all dogs are required to start in Level I. To ensure that your pooch’s foundational knowledge will prepare them for success as they advance.
Since there is no formal schedule to your enrollment, moving up to the next level depends on your pooch’s individual progress. Regardless of the length of time once your dog completes a Level’s requirements then they will advance to the next. Allowing your dog to learn at his or her own pace.
As a bonus if you think and your dog needs to brush up on skills from a previous level, you are free to pop into any previous Urban Pooch LEVELS class during your membership.
All students must attend one orientation session before beginning Urban Pooch LEVELS Training. Orientation is for people only – not dogs, so please leave your dog at home for the brief Orientation. We have Urban Pooch LEVELS Orientation every Wednesday and Saturday.
- Wednesdays – 7:30 pm – 8:15 pm*
- Saturdays – 10:00 am – 10:45 am**
*Please note that due to our Holiday Boarding operations, there will be no LEVELS Orientation on Wednesday, 12/25/2019.
**Please note that due to our Holiday Boarding operations, there will be no LEVELS Orientation on Saturday, 12/21/2019.
How to Register:
Please, RSVP prior to attending orientation by calling (773) 961 – 8880. Because every orientation does fill-up, all students must purchase a package when signing-up in order to reserve a spot in orientation. However, your package will not begin ticking-down until you actually attend orientation. Thank you!
LEVEL 1 – Beginner
- Basic Commands: Sit and Down
- Focus Work: Dog pays attention to owner and clearly responds to their name
- Discuss Potty Training & Proper Crate Use
- Address unwanted behavior such as jumping and play biting
- Intro to proper leash walking
Requirements to LEVEL-Up: Dog can obey sit and down on command, knows their name and will look to the parent when their name is called.
LEVEL 2 – Building on Good Behavior
- Intro to walking on a loose leash with mild distractions
- Paying attention to the parent when other dogs walk by
- Introduction to Stay and Recall
- Address behavioral problems such as barking, digging, chewing, etc.
Requirements to LEVEL-Up: Dog can walk on a loose leash with good attention to the parent and no pulling on the leash, dog can recall on lead with small distractions.
LEVEL 3 – Distraction Work
- Loose leash walking with many distractions
- Automatically sit when owner comes to a stop
- Recall work at longer distances (dog to come and sit directly in front of owner)
- Stay on leash with distractions (both sit and down)
- Respond to commands at a distance
Requirements to LEVEL-Up: Dog can do a 1 minute stay and a 3 minutes down-stay with a small amount of distractions. Dog can heel past other dogs on a loose leash (draped over the owner’s shoulder), and dog can be recalled from 20 feet with distractions.
LEVEL 4 – Advanced (Working Toward Canine Good Citizen)
- Emergency down and recall
- Work on all CGC exercises (3 week CGC prep class can be taken in addition to this level)
- Longer stays – 2 minute sit, 5 minute down with owner at a distance
- Finish heel – cleanup so heel position is correct and straight each time
Requirements to LEVEL-Up: Dog must be able to heel off leash past other dogs and other distractions. Dog can be reliably recalled off lead from 30 feet away past distractions.
LEVEL 5 – Therapy Dog & Off-Leash Reliability
IN LEVEL 5 you may chose one of two tracks: Canine Therapy Corps Therapy Dog Certification or Off-Leash Reliability. Of course, once you master one, you may want to master the other.
Canine Therapy Dog Goals:
- Ignores medical equipment, other dogs, and squeaker toys
- Takes treats gently from strangers who are in a wheelchair
- Maintains long sit and down stays
- Performs all skills without the aid of treats
Off-Leash Reliability Goals:
- Refine all commands – dog responds to all with no hesitation
- Responds to all cues without a leash attached
- Long sit and down at a distance
- Greater distractions will be added to create “real-life” responses from your do
NOTE: Dogs can participate in LEVEL 5 for multiple months – as challenges will be consistently added to challenge pooch and parent.
Urban Pooch LEVELS Membership Packages
1-month = $275 = $17.19 per class*
2-months = $395 = $12.34 per class*
3-months = $575 = $11.98 per class*
4-months = $735 = $11.48 per class*
6-months = $999 = $10.41 per class*
*cost per class assumes an average of 4 classes per week
What to Bring to Training Classes
How to prepare for your awesome & FUN classes at Urban Pooch Training and Fitness Center:
- Bring a variety of very yummy, small-sized treats (the size of a green pea). You may mix the treats with your dog’s meal if you’re concerned about over-feeding.
- Consider using a treat pouch – it’s easy to forget you have treats in your pocket. We have treat pouches for sale at Urban Pooch Training & Fitness Center.
- Bring motivational toys that don’t make noise and that won’t roll away.
- Please, no choke or electronic collars. Also, most back-clip harnesses are not recommended. A flat collar is best, but if you need a training collar or harness, our trainers are happy to make the appropriate suggestions for you and your dog.
- Use a 6-foot leather or cloth leash. Chain leashes are not recommended. Retractable leashes are not allowed.
- As always and everywhere, Please bring poop bags.
- Wear your play attire to class – comfortable clothes, closed-toe, and rubber-soled shoes
The Red Bandana Program
Red bandanas will be worn by dogs who need a little space. Perhaps they are not confident around other dogs, they may be shy of people, or maybe they have a temporary injury or are older and don’t want to be bumped. Please offer space when you see a dog wearing a red bandana.
Policy on Payment, Refunds & Freezing Packages
Reserving A Spot & Initial Payment
We do not accept partial payments for class. Classes must be paid in full at sign-up in order to reserve a spot in orientation. Only payment in full for class can reserve your spot in a future class or training service.
Refund Policy If You Wish to Drop Out of Class
In the case a student wishes to drop out of a class, a refund will only be issued if UPTFC is given notice 48 hours or more prior to the start time/day of LEVELS Orientation. So, for example, if you are signed up for an Orientation that begins Saturday at 10am, then the absolute latest UPTFC could be notified is Thursdays by 10am in order for you to obtain a refund for the full amount you paid for your package.
If you wish to drop out of class outside of these parameters – that is, with less than 48 hours notice – then no refund will be granted unless it is due to a sudden illness or injury to yourself or your dog that makes it either impossible or unsafe for your participation. For parameters regarding dropping out of class for injury or illness to either yourself or your dog, see subsequent sections for more information.
Please note we do not grant requests for refunds or credit for future training due to changes in a student’s availability, business trips, simply missing class for being too busy, forgetting class dates or unexpected personal/business/holiday/vacation plans.
Refund Policy in the Case of Injury or Illness
In the case a student needs to remove their enrollment in a class due to an injury or illness to either themselves or their dog that makes their involvement impossible or unsafe, then one of four policies will apply to them with regards to the time in which UPTFC is notified of said injury/illness:
- If you notify UPTFC 48 hours or more prior to the start time/day of Orientation, then the previous policy will take precedence in which a full refund will be granted.
- If you notify UPTFC less than 48 hours prior to the start time/day of Orientation up until the actual day of class, then you will be granted a credit of the full amount of your original payment for said class to be used towards future training. However, this credit may only be used towards training services and must be used within 6 months of giving said notice; all remaining credit granted from this notice will be forfeited after this 6 month grace period. So, for example, if you are registered for a $275 1-month LEVELS membership with an Orientation scheduled to begin June 5th at 10am, and you let us know on June 4th your dog has contracted kennel cough and thus cannot be around other dogs, then we would credit your account $275 to be used towards future training services. Please note that these training services still must be scheduled and are subject to both the availability of trainers and open spots in future classes; that is, we cannot guarantee you a spot in a future class due to dropping out of a past class if said future class already has registered the maximum amount of students. To continue this example, even if you have not used the total sum of your original $275 credit in training services by December 4th, then the difference in initial payment would become forfeit and any new future training expense would need to be paid for separately from this now expired credit.
- If you notify UPTFC during the duration of your package that either your dog or yourself has become too ill/injured to continue attending class, then you will be granted a credit for the presumed remaining dollar amount of your original payment to be put toward future training services. So, for example, if you are registered for a $275, 1-month membership that began on June 5th and you have to drop out of LEVELS because 15 days into your package (let’s say June 20th) you sustain injuries that would make it impossible for you to attend class and act as a proper handler for your dog, then we would credit your future training account $133.06 since you used 15/31 of your package. However, the entirety of this $133.06 training credit would have to be used by December 20th or else be forfeit. Please note that these training services still must be scheduled and are subject to both the availability of trainers and open spots in future classes; that is, we cannot guarantee you a spot in an upcoming class due to dropping out of a past class if said future class already has registered the maximum amount of students.
- If an injury or illness occurs to yourself or your dog, but you make no reasonable attempt to make us aware of the situation, then UPTFC reserves the right to keep the total payment for a LEVELS Package.
Please note that if your dog is approved to be removed from a class for an injury or ailment, we may require proof of proper treatment and clearance from your vet prior to attending a subsequent training session. For example, if you had to drop-out of an upcoming class because your dog’s fecal sample tested positive for giardia, then prior to returning to LEVELS classes we would need proof from your vet that the dog has had a new fecal sample tested that resulted negative for infection for giardia or any other communicable ailment. Simply putting your dog through vet-recommended treatment is not sufficient for proof of a negative fecal–only proof that a more recent fecal sample tested negative will clear your pooch for class in this scenario.
Policy on Freezing Packages
Urban Pooch Training & Fitness Center will only freeze a LEVELS package under the following circumstances: 1) your pooch has become ill and cannot attend class; 2) your pooch has become injured and cannot attend class; 3) the primary owner who takes the pooch to class has become too sick to bring their dog to class; 4) the primary owner who takes the pooch to class has become injured and cannot take their pooch to class; 5) the pooch needs to undergo a surgery and cannot attend class during the surgery and the recovery period (e.g. neuter, spaying, emergency surgery, etc.); 6) a female dog has gone into heat; or 7) an unexpected, personal emergency has interrupted an owner’s ability to bring his/her dog class AND the owner has made the UPTFC aware of the situation and their want to freeze their LEVELS packag
We DO NOT freeze packages for the following reasons: 1) owner is taking a vacation; 2) owner is taken away on business whether the leave was planned or unplanned; 3) the dog is out-of-town for a competition; 4) an owner has not updated their pooch’s vaccination requirements; 5) an owner just did not attend class for an amount of time due to personal issues; or 6) an owner took a pooch out of training for a reason that would have been applicable to freezing a package, but made no reasonable attempt to make UPTFC employees aware of this absence.
All requests to freeze a LEVELS package must be addressed by one of our Training Ambassadors and approved by them. You can contact him via the front desk phone number or directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
All freezing and un-freezing of packages will be done directly through a Training Ambassador.